What to do if you have a truck accident?

Truck accidents have become a serious problem facing the state of California. In fact, California is the second state in the country with the highest number of truck accidents. According to statistics, approximately 3,000 people are injured in truck accidents, 113 fatal truck-related accidents occur, and between 200-300 truck drivers die every year.

These types of accidents are usually much more serious than accidents between cars. This is because the size and weight of the trucks mean that damages and injuries are increased. There are many types of trucks; the most common are garbage trucks or dump trucks, trailer trucks, tank trucks, platform trucks, cranes, refrigerator trucks, heavy-duty trucks, car carriers, or mobile crane trucks.

We invite you to learn about the most common causes of truck accidents:

  • Speeding
  • Distracted driving
  • Aggressive driving
  • Hours of service violations (fatigued driving)
  • Severe weather
  • Road construction
  • Freight overload
  • Brake/vehicle failure
  • Driving under the influence
  • Bad lighting

What to do if you have a truck accident?

After any type of accident, the priority is to seek immediate medical attention and call an ambulance and the police. After verifying whether you or your passengers have been injured, you must collect and preserve all evidence from the scene. Prioritize having photos, videos, witness data, and other relevant information. Also, take details of the truck driver and any other drivers involved in the accident.

Finally, you should contact your insurer and trusted attorney to guide you through the personal injury claim process. Remember that you may not notice any injuries at the time of the accident. Still, over time some symptoms of an injury may appear. For this reason, it is vital that you follow all the steps mentioned above. Primarily, keep in mind that you need a copy of the police report. With the case number and the detailed information that the report contains, you will be able to present your case to receive compensation.

Do you need support from a lawyer? Call us today!